Topband: Length of Beverages

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Sat Jul 26 10:43:33 EDT 2014

I'm sure it varies a lot from QTH to QTH, but here, over mostly volcanic
ash and sand, I could see significant difference between 800 foot and
1100 foot.

I never got around to trying longer than 1100 because I could not work
all that I could hear with those.

These days, being older and slower, after the last alfalfa cutting, I
run out one 1000 foot toward EU and 500 to 800 in other directions. The
long Bevs are narrower beamwidth and you need more of them for good
coverage whereas I can get by with only 5 or 6 of the shorter ones.
Can't hear quite as well but it sure hurts a lot less rolling them out
every year!

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP
DN07dg - central WA