Topband: VE7BS SK

Phil Hartwell via Topband topband at contesting.com
Sun Jul 27 20:06:34 EDT 2014

I'm very sad to hear of the passing of yet another great operator. Bob
had extremely good ears on Top Band. In August 1988, when I was in the
process of selling my previous home in the northern suburbs of Perth, I
had taken down all my antennas, but after a few weeks of radio
deprivation, I was suffering withdrawal symptoms. As a temporary
measure, I attached wires onto the upper storey roof gutter and a cold
water pipe. I was delighted to find I could match this "antenna" on Top
Band, using a transmatch and my old TS830S barefoot. I would have been
happy to contact other VK6's or maybe eastern VK if I was lucky, but I
was staggered when my 1st QSO with this setup, on 12th August, was with Bob.
RIP Bob, 73, Phil VK6GX (VK6ABL at the time).