Topband: Using 80m 1/4 vertical on 160

John Kaufmann jkaufmann at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 2 21:07:39 EDT 2014

Hi Mike,

I have a dual-band 160/80 meter vertical system that is based on 1/4-wave
verticals on 80.  I switch in loading coils to make them work on 160.  The
160 capability was added as an afterthought, a few years after it had been
set up for 80.  Perhaps top loading would be somewhat more efficient on 160,
but it would be difficult electrically and mechanically to switch out top

The key is many radials, over 100 of them ranging in length from 30 feet to
200 feet, depending on the space available.

I won't claim to be the loudest guy on the band, but it does work.  And the
real key, as everyone knows, is being able to hear (I have a separate RX
array).   Without really chasing countries (I am missing many easy ones) I
have something like 250 countries worked and 38 zones towards WAZ from an
unexceptional suburban location.

73, John W1FV