Topband: Using 80m 1/4 vertical on 160

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jun 3 00:39:09 EDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 6:07 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
> Perhaps top loading would be somewhat more efficient on 160,
> but it would be difficult electrically and mechanically to switch out top

Not as difficult as you might think. Certainly worth some modeling. Add
a 80M trap at the top between the vertical and horizontal portions.
Below 80M that circuit would look inductive, which adds loading on 160.
In the model, play with values for the trap and the top wires to
maximize efficiency. My guess it that might be good for another dB or two.

73, Jim K9YC