Topband: Using 80m 1/4 vertical on 160

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jun 3 09:14:48 EDT 2014

> I am putting up a single DXE 80m 1/4 vertical.  I can put out the proper
> radials.  I will have to add some longer ones for 160.

That's a good vertical, and the 80M radials will probaby be adequate if you
have enough of them.

> Now to figure out switching in and out 160 and the matching.

That is always the difficult part. If you have a good ground system and high
efficiency, voltage can get pretty high when on the higher band for a top
wire, and the lower band for switching a coil. Many systems work at high
power because of losses.

If you just want to run outside to change bands, it is easy.