Topband: 50 ohm direct burial coax cable

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Jun 3 10:58:51 EDT 2014

Usually "direct burial" cable is just a PE jacket with a flooding compound in the braid.

Times Microwave makes a direct burial variant of their LMR-400 called "LMR-400-DB". It adds a flooding compound in the braid. The flooding compound will seal small fractures in the jacket.

BTW, for everyone, there is a new "dry" type of water blocking compound used in fiber optic cables that is usually in the form of a powder or a yarn. When it gets wet it expands and seals the damaged cable area. It's lots easier to work with than the more traditional gel-type flooding compounds. Maybe if we're lucky we'll see someone start making coax that way!

  -Bill