Topband: Feedpoint of short RX vertical

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Jun 7 16:02:44 EDT 2014

When feeding short RX verticals with a coil and resistor in series, does it
make sense to decouple the feedline
at the feedpoint with a braid breaker ?>>>

There is no universal answer.

The particular installation determines whether or not decoupling is
necessary. Sometimes a ground rod alone is enough, and sometimes even
several radials are not enough. Decoupling can help if:

1.) The ground system is marginal or poor. We do not want the coax feedline
contributing signals or acting like part of the antenna.

2.) There is noise following the cable shields to the antenna

I do not decouple some of mine because the feedlines are all buried a foot
deep for 160-170 feet to the center, I have several reasonably long radials
on each element, and the antenna is far from any noise. Some of mine I
decouple, because they are near the house and the cables are not deep
buried.

73 Tom