Topband: 50 ohm direct burial coax cable‏

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 11:19:00 EDT 2014

> From: n7rt at cox.net

> Please explain virtual SWR. I never heard that in any college classroom I
> have been in.
> Hardy N7RT

That's a phrase I coined in response to the situation Tom described; maybe another term would be used in the textbooks.  A quarter wavelength 75 ohm  coax working into a 50 ohm load, transforms the 50 ohm load to 112.5 ohms, non-reactive, as it appears at the end of the coax next to the transmitter, as previously discussed. If we place a 50-ohm SWR meter at the near end of the coax, between it and the rf source (the transmitter), the meter will "see" 112.5 ohms, not 50 ohms nor 75 ohms. It will read 2.25:1 SWR. But the actual SWR on the coax line remains 1.5:1. If we add another quarter-wave of coax to the line, making its total length a half wavelength, the meter will now "see" a 50 ohm non-reactive load, and read 1:1 SWR. The SWR READING has  changed from 1.25:1 to 1:1 as the length was changed. But the actual SWR along the transmission line has not changed, because Zo and Zr are still the same, and adjusting the length of the line doesn't affect the standing wave generated by the 1.5:1 mismatch at the far end.  That meter reading is what I called 'virtual SWR'. Maybe a better term would have been APPARENT SWR.

Don k4kyv