Topband: Rig Question

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:58:25 EDT 2014

The one thing that's keeping me from buying a TS590 for use on the topband
is the use of a mechanical relay versus solid state switching between TX &
RX.  Had problems develop over a long period of time with my first HF
transceiver (also a Kenwood) regarding the first character sent being
shortened in length due to the relay and having a hard time buying another
radio that still uses a relay for TX/RX switching.

Would love to see the next generation of TS590 produced that uses solid
state switching but might break down before then and buy a TS590.  Wonder
what others think about the relay in the TS590 and any problems encountered
(especially when trying to run QSK).

Don