Topband: Rig Question

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:39:36 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

> I prefer analog detection of weak signals in noise, but I can live with
> the K3 when it is adjusted to my liking. I don't like all the menus,

I thought a K3 could be interfaced with a computer (using 3rd-party
software) so the user didn't have to touch the menu buttons on the K3. I
forget the details or what the name of the software is, but I'm told that's
far easier than fiddling with those menus directly on the radio.

> As for transmit audio, there isn't a thing wrong with it.

What I heard was bad, was the receive audio on SSB, what's coming out of
the speaker connected to it. Are we on the same page?

> The K3 does some things virtually no other radio does properly concerning
> diversity and DX use, and it has excellent close spaced receiver
> performance, so for me there is really no other choice.

When I get another rig, it will likely be a K3 for those and other reasons.
But SDRs are getting better and better all the time.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com