Topband: Rig Question

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Mon Jun 16 21:27:11 EDT 2014

Lots of things to check,  processor on, what mic used,  need the bias
turned on for your mike,
have mic gain set for high or low in the menus,  have the right amount
of ALC showing
K3 needs the ALC to be showing 5 or 7 bars,  not 1 bar flickering like
some radios suggest.

Barefoot?  if so your 3 DB weaker than your FT1000D,   can be lots of
things,  have to
go over em one at a time.
It takes quite a bit of compression to get the audio "punchy" and you
need to set the
transmit equalizer,  with mine set "flat" it takes a lot of talking to
get through a pile up,
so I listened in the monitor and changed the equalizer until it had more
of the highs
like a Heil DX element used to have on a drake.. and bingo the call rate
went up to the
same as my FT-1000..  have to tailor it for your voice.
If your voice power is lower than your cw power you adjust TXG VCE menu
entry
setting it makes the SSB power the same as CW..
Best mics I have found are cheap electret, turn on the bias and you have
tons of audio.
73 Merv K9FD/KH6