Topband: Rig Question

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Jun 19 13:30:32 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu at w0mu.com>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question

> Is my P3 Monitor worth it.  Yes. necessary no.  Does it allow me to work
> DX faster yes.  Pretty handy knowing exactly where the last guy the dx
> just worked was or the pattern the dx uses or finding holes in the
> pileups.

** Listening awhile will establish a pattern, knowing how and when to
transmit is a skill. Depending on a display just reduces skill levels
required and actually makes it harder as monkey see monkey do mentality
takes over and the pileup does the same.

> How many rigs have true diversity receive?  One?  Does it help? It sure
> does.

** For the handfull that have the real estate to implement it properly.

  W6AM was using this long ago on his rombic farm. Does everyone
> need it?  No.

** Diversity reception has been around since the 20's by the commercial
sites. Often manned by hams it caught on long before Don.

> Phase noise in a MM situation can be awful.  K3's have minimized this.

** So do switchable filters that drop it 40-60dB or so. A single coax stub
by about 25dB here allows pure 2 station operation without interferance from
80's rigs.
.
> Many of the big dxpeditions are only taking K3's because of this and the
> best receiver available.  When you have the world calling you do need the
> best.

** Perceptions, pressure, freebies all play into the picture. I wont
disagree the K3 has a good receiver, especially for CW but GOOD
DXpedition/contest ops have contended with worse for decades and set new
records

> Thankfully we have choices.
>
> Why should radio be any different than cars?  Why do we have so many
> choices?  They all go down the road at 65mph and are pretty safe.  There
> are far more choices in brands of cars and price points than ham radio.
>
> The bottom line is that people like choices.  Thankfully we have them.
>
> Mike W0MU

** The auto industry is a prime example against too many choices. The public
isnt intelligent enough to understand why. Nobody really wins and the price
goes up since production quantities by model decrease.
Ford set records with the Model T and A which still stand. The 57 Chevy used
the same rolling chassis and driveline as the 55 and 56 with more engine
choices being the only variable. The 58 used the same rolling chassis with
some reinforcements. The 59-64 was basically the same frame with incremental
engine and transmission differences.
The Mustang shared many components year to year plus with other models;
underneath the sheetmetal it was a Falcon/Comet.

The hugely popular 1986-95 Taurus/Sable shared a lot of body and interior
parts over that span but engine/transmission/electronics swaps were limited
to 2-3 years.

These days almost every year is different in some major way,
interchangability is minimal and prices escalate. Plus vehicles are junked
before they are really worn out which adds to cost, pollution, natural
resources, etc.

Carl
KM1H