Topband: Rig Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 19 17:55:28 EDT 2014

On 6/19/2014 12:00 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
> Is anyone here controlling their Elecraft K3, etc. with their PC?

Yes. I mostly do rig control with N1MM for contesting, but also use
WSJT-X for JT65 and JT9, and DXLab Commander for general logging. N1MM
integrates the mouse with its own band map, which you can fill with your
own spots as you S&P, and also spots from the cluster if you choose to
use it. The P3 has its own screen, and there's an optional add-in to
provide SVGA output. The SVGA has its own FFT, with much greater
resolution and waterfall time than the P3 alone.

The P3 does NOT feed a computer, so I don't know how you would access it
with a mouse. But the P3 has two cursors, that can be set anywhere on
the display. And if you press the knob for the cursor, the rig will jump
to the frequency of the cursor. The P3 can be set for any frequency span
between 2 kHz and 200 kHz.

The K3 and KX3 are SDRs with knobs. You CAN feed the IF both to the P3
and an I/Q decoder box, and from there to a computer, so whatever SDR
software you like can talk to the K3 serial port.  An important
difference between the K3 and other SDRs is that it has MUCH less phase
noise on TX.

Another advantage of the P3 over an SDR and computer is that the SDR
software can be very processor intensive. Not a problem with a fast new
computer, but can be a major limitation with an older one.

73, Jim K9YC