Topband: RM-11708

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Sat Mar 15 20:49:45 EDT 2014

It is doubly incorrect to say " this Proposal would not alter FCC Part
97.221, which limits automated stations to a small section of the digital
bands."

1. Within the frequency ranges specified in 97.221(b), there is currently no
regulatory limit on bandwidth. However,  97.307(f)(3) limits the symbol rate
to 300 baud in these frequency ranges, which given the passband
characteristics of most HF transceivers creates a practical bandwidth
maximum of 2.2 kilohertz. If accepted, RM-11708 would eliminate the 300 baud
symbol rate limit, making it both practical and legal for automatic stations
to use 2.8 kilohertz wide signals in the 97.221(b) frequency ranges -- a
significant increase over what's currently practical and in use. Without any
requirement that such automatic stations employ competent busy frequency
detectors, the result will be a significant increase in QRM to ongoing QSOs.

2. 97.221(b) specifies 10.140-10.150 -- which is 20% of the entire 30m band,
and most of the portion of that band used for digital mode operation. This
is not a "small section" of the 30m digital band.

        73,

            Dave, AA6YQ