Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue

Steve VE7SL at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 25 13:37:42 EDT 2014

> these CFL bulbs can generate some strong RF
> noise just before going out.

Mack - had a similar issue here several years ago...s9+ buzz throughout the
longwave band for a month. I live on an island with very few winter
neighbours and eventually traced the source (which was radiating nicely via
the powerlines) to an unoccupied summer residence, but still was not 100%
certain as the signal was so loud from all of the 11 home's drop lines on
the local grid. When the owner returned I had him pull the main breaker and
sure enough the buzz stopped. It turned out to be a burned-out CFL bulb in
the crawlspace that they left on to discourage any sea otters from trying to
get into the space during the winter. The bulb was heavily charred and parts
of it had already melted yet it continued to radiate a strong signal.
Needless to say they were glad that it hadn't set their place on fire and
have since stopped using this type of bulb.

Steve / VE7SL

Mayne Island, BC

WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook":  http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl