Topband: Ends for older Phillystran

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 31 17:27:16 EDT 2014

Thanks to all who provided info and suggestions.

It appears that a practical solution to be able to use "old" Phillystran
might be to use wire rope saddle clamps at the right quantity and
tightening torque.  So, based on  posts, I am experimenting with 4
clamps with nut tightening torques (5/8" clamps for the nominal 5/8"
diameter PS I have 1800' of) at values of 25, 40, 55, and perhaps 70
ft-lbs (95 ft-lbs are recommended for 5/8" diameter wire rope).

I've talked with West Coast Wire Rope and Rigging here in Seattle, they
have a 5k to 500k lb pull stand for up to 180' long cables that costs
$150 per hour.  However, this test cost would be prohibitive to test for
creep, so I've (reversibly) modified my H frame arbor press to be able
to do tensile testing up to about 20,000 lbs.  This way I can test the
sample configuration under tension for days.

So I am now testing  a 4' double ended section of old PS with 4 clips
each end to determine what loads and what torque values cause what
behavior.  I've also done a limited literature search about Kevlar fiber
properties, and have not discovered any "show stoppers" for a saddle
clamp termination.

So far a test configuration has been adequately stable at 5000#
continuous load for 10 days.  I will post more detailed results of the
testing after I am further along with the tests.

Grant KZ1W