Topband: Attached: Dean- Long wave antennas-Trans-Atlantic radio telephone.

k1fz k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sat May 3 18:42:44 EDT 2014

Samuel "Winthrop" Dean: Info from the Belfast Museum.

Samuel W. Dean was the engineer-in-charge at the time of the historical

radio broadcast in Belfast.

For scholarly use only:

May 1923 Secretaries second report. Samuel Winthrop Dean.

Born: at Cambridge, Mass August 29, 1897

Son Of: Francis W. and Lydia C.H. (Cushing) Dean.

Prepaired at: Lexington High School, Lexington, Mass.

Married: Ida Mae Hoge, at Honolulu, T.H. November 24, 1920

Child: Frances Elizabeth, born March 19, 1922.

Occupation: Radio Engineer

Permanent Mailing Address: 4 Elliot Road, Lexington, Mass.

I left college in April 1917, and became engaged in radio work being conducted for the Government by a Cambridge concern. In June 1916 was called to active duty in the Naval Reserve as Radio Electrician, and was later  promoted to Ensign. In July 1919 I entered the employ of the Radio Corporation of America, and was transferred to Marshall, Calif. And later to the Hawaiian  Islands. I have been located  either  in Hawaii or California for the past three years. In August 1922, I returned to Lexington, Mass., and am now again attending Harvard.

Excerpt from the Harvard 1929 secretaries report:

In the fall of 1922, I returned to Harvard to complete my studies interrupted by the war. In 1923 I received the degree of A.B. as of 1919, and entered the employ of the Radio Corporation of America. After two years of development work at their Belfast, Maine experimental station, I entered the employ of the American Telephone and Telegraph Co. in 1925, being employed at their Houlton, Maine radio station until 1927, when I was transferred to their New York office. During this period I was engaged in development  work on the Transatlantic Radio Telephone System  In 1925 I was one of the authors of a paper, "Radio Relaying," presented before the Institute of Radio Engineers, and am also one of the authors of a paper, "The Receiving System for Long-Wave Transatlantic Radio Telephony," presented before the same institute in 1928.

Excerpt from the Thirteenth anniversary report 1944.

Samuel Winthrop Dean

Died Jan. 8, 1931 Boston, Mass.

Radio communications was Winthrop Dean's lifelong interest. When, but nine years old he had amused his schoolmates by installing a microphone in a bird's

nest near the window, and leading wires to a reproducer in the schoolroom, so that .the conservation of the feathered family was repeated---with alarming magnification---for the benefit of the class. Later he built his own headphone set, secured a license as an amateur radio operator, joined the Independent Wireless Company of Medford, and became a charter member of the American Radio Relay League. He also qualified for a commercial operator's license and spent some of two summer vacations as a radioman at sea. In 1914 he was elected a Junior Associate of the Institute of Radio Engineers. At Harvard many of his spare hours were devoted to research work in the Cruft High Tension Laboratory, although he also took part in the productions of the Harvard Dramatic Club.

 On the outbreak of the war Winthrop had enlisted as a reservist, but was not called to active duty immediately. Instead he was removed from college and placed as a civilian engineer in a firm producing radio equipment for the armed services and our allies.

 In June 1919, Winthrop went to work for the Radio Corporation of  America, a company then being organized at the request of the government to take over the

American end of all international radio communication channels. With this concern he worked in New York, Seattle, California, and Hawaii where he installed and supervised long distance radio receiving stations, and stratified some of his desire for traveling. In Hawaii, he met and married Ida Mae Hoge.

 In 1922 he returned to Harvard and after a year of study received the degree of A.B. (honoris causa)  in June 1923. There after, he went back with the Radio Corporation of America and with them did two years of development work at their Belfast, Maine, experimental station.  In 1925 he joined the American Telephone and Telegraph company and was employed at their radio station at Houlton Maine, where he collaborated in the design and installation of the first commercial transatlantic telephone system. During this time he published a number of scientific papers.

 In 1928 Dean was lent by his employers to the British Post Office and worked at St Andrews, Scotland, for nearly a year. Shortly after his return home  he developed a common cold which was followed by general streptococcus infection, finally in an abscess of the lung.

 "Those of us who truly knew Winthrop Dean," wrote our classmate, Thomas T. Hopes, "counted his friendship a precious possession. Always inquiring, he was not didactic; pleased to present a point convincingly, he was yet more eager to be convinced him self of some new thing;  ready to teach, he was keenly anxious to learn. With a driving interest in one subject, physics, he gathered around him a Harvard a small group of disrespectful but devoted admirers.

  The members of that group found him an example of true devotion to science, of generous cooperation of  honest, un-self conscious  workmanlike thinking, which permanently influenced their lives. In this influence, as in his accomplishments, he lives yet. Can any man achieve a finer immortality than the double one of the incorporation of his ideas in the history of a science, and

the preservation of his methods and character in  the grateful recollection of his friends.?"

Houlton AT&T Trans-Atlantic facility: Wave antennas & SSB reception.
Internet reference:    http://alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol08-1929/articles/bstj8-2-309.pdf
Very large file-takes time to load.

73
Bruce-K1FZ