Topband: New RF interference killing RX at my QTH

Goldtr8 (KD8NNU) goldtr8 at charter.net
Mon Nov 10 20:41:44 EST 2014

Well I made some progress tonight on the way home.

I used my mobile rig with hamsticks to listen while driving on the way home
from work.  I tuned to 3.902 which is a very strong frequency that gets
trashed at the home QTH and used a 40m hamstick as the receiving antenna.
The idea for this setup was to be able to attenuate the signal as I got
closer to it.

Anyway while driving home with the pre-amp on the IC-7000 when suddenly the
noise was present and strong less than 1 mile from my house.    I drove
around until it got real loud and turned the pre-amp off and it went away.
I then drove around with the pre-amp on until it was at about an s7 on the
meter then turned the preamp off as I was close and then drove around until
there was about 1 s-unit showing on the meter. I could hear the noise with
the pre-amp off when close and the s meter small reading confirmed that I
was real close.

The noise is clearly in one subdivision close to my house but I can not tell
what is the source at this time.  I also know the noise does not show up on
the AM radio in the car although bad power poles do show up.

So to me major progress has been made, now I need to identify where in the
subdivision or maybe what house this trash is coming from.  Next short term
step is to listen to the links several folks have sent to me to see if any
of them match what I am hearing so I know what I am looking for.

I will keep the list updated as I learn more about the problem.

Cheers and thanks for the tips so far.

Don

~73
Don