Topband: Beverage Termination Question

Dennis W0JX via Topband topband at contesting.com
Wed Nov 12 13:17:22 EST 2014

Top Banders:

I have a question about using a common ground point for the far end of beverages. I have a NE/SW bi-directional beverage which terminates at a telephone pole at the far edge of my property. At the base of the pole, I have a grounding system consisting of four ground rods spread apart by about 5 feet from each other, all tied together. This is the ground for the DXE reflection transformer.

I want to put up a temporary, single wire 358 degree beverage for the winter. The angle between the two antennas will be approximately 45 degrees. Can I ground the 470 ohm termination resistor for the single wire beverage to the same ground system used by the NE/SW bi-directional without serious interaction?

Or must I drive a separate ground rod for the single wire antenna? If so, how far must it be spaced from the bi-directional ground system?

73, Dennis W0JX