Topband: Broadband Inverted L

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Nov 20 15:14:01 EST 2014

A few years ago I put up a temporary 60 foot vertical over
my 230 foot diameter ground screen.  It was top loaded with 2
"umbrella" wires sloping down.  The bandwidth was MUCH
narrower than your 65 foot vertical.  IIRC, the 3:1 VSWR
bandwidth was less than 50 kHz.  The feedpoint impedance
was about as predicted by EZNEC over a perfect ground.
IE, very low.  It got out really well in contests
(anecdotal "data").  If you are seeing a bandwidth broad
as a barn door, it can probably only be explained by
substantial ground losses.  I understand you can't get
a ground like I have, do the best you can and get on
the air.

Rick N6RK