Topband: Broadband Inverted L

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 14:28:11 EST 2014

To elaborate a bit on Tom's point -14 ga wire would have approximately 0.4
uH/ft of inductance, so 40 feet of 14 ga wire would be around 16 uH with an
inductive reactance at 1.8 MHz of around j180 ohms.

Compare this with the radiation resistance of the 1/4 wave inverted L, of
perhaps 10-30 ohms resistive, and it becomes pretty clear that the 40'
"ground" wire is not really an effective RF ground for the antenna.
Furthermore, the displaced radial field is no longer beneath the antenna
where it needs to be to provide an image for the antenna fields. A 4' ground
rod, unless it's in salt water is not much of an RF ground either, so the
losses in the system as built are horrendous! Putting even a couple of
elevated resonant radials under the relocated inverted L should make a huge
difference!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV

-