Topband: Broadband Inverted L

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 24 23:42:00 EST 2014

Hi, Joe

Sounds like things are3 progressing nicely! I also live on a small lot and I
worked DX all over the world with and inverted L that only had two elevated
resonant radials at 90 degrees to each other.

Couple comments regarding you VSWR observations;

1.0	A perfectly tuned resonant inverted L over a substantial radial
field will have a VSWR up in the range of 1.5-2.0:1 or a bit higher without
other matching arrangements. The driving point impedance of the inverted L
at resonance will be of the order of 20-35 ohms or so, with a good
ground/radial system,  which would put the VSWR at resonance up in the range
of 1.5 -2.0 or so.

2.0	It can be shown that minimum VSWR will occur at resonance.

3.0	Therefore, your observation of a VSWR variation of 2.1-1.7 as you
tune from 1.8-2.0 MHz indicates that your radiator is a little short with
its resonance at or above the top end of the band at 2.0 MHz and needs to be
lengthened a little to move the resonance lower in the band. May need
another 1-2 feet or so of wire. Just remember that minimum VSWR  WILL occur
at resonance.

Sounds like your relocated Inverted L is working fairly well!  Have fun!!
And BTW, I've had great success hanging 160m inverted Ls and 80m
ground-planes from trees!  Even built a KILLER 80m 5-element steerable array
for a friend that was supported by oak trees!  We didn't have to wait for
anyone -anywhere in the world on 80 or 75 meters!! Trees work OK!

Have fun!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV