Topband: Bird 43

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Nov 27 09:11:37 EST 2014

> Hi All, With the wealth of knowledge on here I thought I would ask this
> one.
> Can anyone put a figure on the displayed power using typical Bird 43
> elements for 2-30mhz when used at 1.83.
>
> My logical guess would be about -5% but have no idea really. 73 Clive
> GM3POI

Bird meters are all over the place, especially with slugs in a humid
environment or with dirty air. The common problem with the slug type meters
is the calibration pot inside the slug going up in resistance.

As Terry said, the rating INSIDE the published frequency range is + or - 5%
of full scale anywhere on the scale when properly calibrated. They do not
roll off very fast outside the range, so the real issue on 160 with a 2-30
MHz slug is how the slug is calibrated inside the published range.