Topband: isolation transformer(s) in RX antenna feedlines (?)

Herbert Schoenbohm herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 00:04:43 EST 2014

Pete.  Here I used RG6 crammed with 10 turns on two 3" toroid on each
side of a ground block for every cable.  The common point ground block
is about 10 feet from the shack and consists of the over the counter
cable TV RG6  ground appliance.  I don't know how much common mode
rejection i get from this and some Beverage gurus say the toroids must
be placed right at the antenna but there is already a balun there to
match the Beverages which essentially isolates the RG6 shield from the
antenna feed at that point.  My idea was to try and isolate the many
Beverages fees before they enter the shack.  some also recommend a 1:1
toroid shield breaker at the shack which is easy to make with a couple
of turns on a binocular core that shows good performance on 160.  I
believe this is the FT-243 core but not sure.

Herb, KV4FZ