Topband: TX relays

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Oct 9 09:46:22 EDT 2014

Because there are many things that go into relay selection that do not show
on a data sheet, I always dissect and test relays.

I have found 30 amp power relays that overheat at 5 amps at 28 MHz, and
relays that have high contact voltage ratings that make the pole inside the
coil hot with full RF. They wind up with 20-30 pF capacitance from armature
to coil.

Another issue is resistance and reliability at near zero contact voltage
when receiving. This is probably the single biggest relay issue in our
applications. A small bifurcated contact relay is better for receive
reliability, and a high current hot switch design is by far the worse for
receive reliability.

One particularly troublesome high power area for current are the relay
internal leads, and the contact support bar materials. The things that make
the wires and contact bars last a long time in repeated cycles create very
high radio frequency resistances. This is why some large 30 amp power relays
will discolor contacts or melt insulation at several amps on higher
frequencies.

The same thing applies to contacts. Contact materials and platings that
optimize hot switching create RF resistance and low level signal connection
issues.  A gold flash on a soft contact, for example, is excellent for
receive but will instantly deteriorate if hot switched at more than a few
hundred milliamperes or with an inductive load. It might handle 20 amps of
closed contact RF current, but only be rated for a few amps of hot switching
current. In contrast, a silver cadmium oxide contact can take tons of hot
switch voltage and current, but is lousy for relay receive pass through.

Contact support bars, and the wires used in some relays, can also be very
problematic. This is because the materials and any weave in wires is
designed for flexibility. Alloys and construction that improves mechanical
cycle life greatly reduces RF performance.