Topband: The Stew

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:11:00 EDT 2014

Hi,

My 160 meter transmitters are down for TLC. I am the primary caregiver
for my ailing XYL and time for tearing into those is scarce. I have been
playing with some mag loops and I took unfair advantage of the Stew to
help evaluate the four foot mag loop (the 18 inch one starts sagging
badly at 40 meters). I heard both N6RK and a K7 station (I wasn't paying
enough attention and the K7 only sent his call once S&P style). The mag
loop is magnificent at reducing the industrial type noise in my area. I
can easily copy signals several decibels lower than zero on my S-meter.
The usually S-4 or S-5 (meter) noise levels are lower still. Many
signals were below that S-4 level but easily copied loud and clear. I'll
use the step attenuator to try and determine those levels..

I am impressed enough to start making plans for a K9AY here. I am sure I
can fit one onto my postage stamp lot. Can't work 'em if you can't hear
'em. And that DX100 is about 3/4 redone :)

73,

Bill  kU8H