Topband: Soldering to Aluminum

dick.bingham dick.bingham at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 01:03:59 EDT 2014

In the past I have successfully soldered to Aluminum using regular solder.

Initially, I scrubbed the aluminum surface to expose un-oxidized metal and then covered it with OIL to prevent exposure to air and re-oxidation of the surface. Then use a high wattage soldering and scrub the surface below the oil while scooting around a melted puddle of solder.

Eventually the aluminum surface will become "tinned" and you can then solder to the blob.
12-months exposure to weather in a coastal environment showed no signs of corrosion.

Dick/w7wkr CN98pi