Topband: WATCH OUT !!Did you get a new cable modem from Comcast? Arris Modem equal lots of QRM

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Oct 24 01:26:04 EDT 2014

On 10/23/2014 3:33 PM, JC wrote:
> So watch out  is you have Comcast cable modem, it is necessary to choke the
> cable and the AC cord with FT240 # 31. With this fix ,the noise dropped from
> s8 to s0 but still audible at Doug receiver.

By now this should be "Ham Radio 101"  -- that is, assume that
EVERYTHING with a digital clock, and EVERY switching power supply is a
noise source, and be prepared to choke them using my RFI tutorial as a
starting point. It's also a VERY good move to replace all switching
power supplies with a linear supply, or even a linear supply float
charging a battery. I'm doing exactly that with cable modem, WiFi
Router, CATV box, Internet "radio," etc. In most cities, it's possible
to find linear wall warts at second hand stores for a buck or less, and
I also buy them at ham flea markets.

And all the gear in my shack (except for computers and power amp), run
off my small solar system.

73, Jim K9YC