Topband: Anyone using WSPR or WSPR-X?

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Mon Sep 1 15:30:01 EDT 2014

Normally, I run 5 or 10 watts TX output on 160 meters depending on the
specifics of the particular run. On 30 meters it's kinda dumb to run
more than 5 watts out unless your antenna is a light bulb in the
basement. I have on occasion run 100 watts on 160 but if you need to do
that because of conditions, you are not going to get any meaningful data
anyway. WSPR handles QRN well at least until the RX AGC shuts everything
down.

Remember we are using this on 630 meters and have been all summer. You
have no idea what QRN is until you play on the real "topband". (which is
soon to loose out to 2200 meters!)

Best way to receive WSPR is the same as with all of K1JT's software,
turn off ALL DSP functions. Open up the RX bandwidth as far as it will
go, 6 kHz is not too much. Use the normal noise blanker with care and
discretion. Be very careful about audio levels.

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP