Topband: [Bulk] Outdoor rope suggestions

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 2 18:55:53 EDT 2014

Over the past 25 years, at 3 QTH's, I've used thousands of feet of the
synthetictextilesinc.com 1/4" and 5/16" and have been very happy with
it.  Tough, strong, and lasts a very long time (MA winters, CA sun).  I
do use 29/30mm ball bearing pulleys (blocks) from Harken HAR340,
RonstanRF20100 (20mm ok for 1/4" line), or Lewmar 29901341 ($15, best
deal) on the antenna hoist line and the support point has been an eye
bolt in/thru the tree, tower, or telephone pole.  With plastic balls,
they never seize up and the reduction in friction and line wear is
huge.  If the support line is over the branch it usually gets stuck from
pitch, the tree grows onto it, or it wears, so I don't use a branch as a
pulley.  I use paracord as a pull down line on the insulator so the end
of the hoist rope can be retrieved when the antenna breaks w/o a tree or
tower climb.  Of course any line will wear and fatigue over a pulley so
moving the line a foot or two every year or so helps.

ebay lines I've bought have been cheaters on diameter or not really
dacron/polyester.  A tree climb is $100 each here, so I spend a few
bucks for something that lasts.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA