Topband: : preserving hemp rope…?

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:15:53 EDT 2014

during bidding on a 500' spool of 7/8'' Navy surplus material. I'd like to use it with a pair of large blocks
and a couple of eucalyptus trees.  What oils or chemicals would be appropriate for the job? What would be
a realistic life expectancy ...and a ballpark working load?
Thanks, Ed.
KA6ZMI>>>>

I  have about a 300' roll of sisal rope, which like hemp is a natural fibre. I purchased it in 1980 to use with a gin pole to erect my 127' tower. I have kept it on a reel andstored in a dry place ever since. As far as I can tell it is still good as new, but less stiff that when I first got it; I have used it for a variety of other tasks since putting up the tower.

I  don't think you would need to use anything to preserve the rope other than keeping it away from moisture and away from insects and rodents that might chew or eat on it. Mine is about 5/8" diameter. I don't know how it compares with hemp for strength, but I once used it to tow a pick-up truck, and it broke once along the way when the person driving the towing vehicle accelerated too hard.  I tied it back together, and tossed the broken piece when I got home, which was about 6' long.

I dipped the ends in epoxy to keep them from unravelling.

Don k4kyv