Topband: Tides and SWR

Hugh Valentine hsvdds at juno.com
Tue Sep 16 17:43:27 EDT 2014

Here are a few photos:Link:     http://n1bug.com/host/val/

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Bill Wichers <billw at waveform.net>
To: Hugh Valentine <hsvdds at juno.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Tides and SWR
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:17:35 +0000

You could make a simple adjustable piston-type capacitor with some nested pieces of PVC pipe and a float. I don't know if you'd actually want to try that, but it would probably be a fairly simple mechanism to implement. Personally, I think a motor-driven arrangement would be better so that you wouldn't be at the mercy of the tide.

Interesting info too -- thanks for sharing. I would not have guessed at the amount of difference you're seeing between high and low tide.

Do you have a pic of this antenna somewhere? IT would help to get an idea of the arrangement for anyone trying to determine the "why" to your changes.

  -Bill