Topband: ROKU 3 QRM

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 18 16:51:43 EDT 2014

On Thu,9/18/2014 12:41 PM, Dennis W0JX via Topband wrote:
> When I pulled the power on the relatively new ROKU 3, the noise level on the K3 dropped from S9 to S5, about 24 db!

RF noise is radiated by wires, in this case, the power supply wiring and
the wiring between the Roku and your TV (and perhaps other wires
connected to the TV). I have a Roku 3, and while I hear it in a TH-F6A
with its loopstick an inch above the Roku box, I don't hear it in my
antennas. I'm doing two things to make it quiet. First, I'm running it
from a 12V battery that is floated by a small linear supply. (A year or
so ago, I went through my home and got rid of all the switch-mode crap).
Second, both the DC lead and the video cable have a multi-turn ferrite
choke wound on Fair-Rite #31. It also helps that my antennas are at
least 100 ft from the Roku 3.

73, Jim K9YC