Topband: ROKU 3 QRM

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Sep 19 11:14:00 EDT 2014

Nearly all lower frequency noise ingress and egress is from differential
mode of different cables entering and leaving a device.

Any individual cable or wiring by itself might be common mode or
differential mode, but the nasty stuff that isn't filtered almost always is
from two or more cables or wire groups that are excited in "push-pull" at
the device.

This makes external wiring look like a big loop or big antenna system, so
even small noises can go a long distance.

The very first thing I do is get one of those multiple port lightning
arrestors or surge protectors and make sure every cable and wire leaving a
system passes through that common point and everything that can be grounded
or bonded or bypassed is bypassed with that "protector" as a common point.

73 Tom