Topband: Remote pre-amp power source

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Sep 25 19:34:59 EDT 2014

Something to keep in mind....

Even in a quiet location with a -10 dBd gain very directional antenna, the
preamp can be thousands of feet from the antenna on 160 with no ill effects.
My eight vertical array, for example, has about 600 feet of F6, then 2000
feet of F11, then the preamp. It limits on propagated noise even in
daylight.

Of course there are things that might make a remote amplifier useful, such
as very lossy feedlines and very low gain antennas, but even 3000 feet of
F11 type cable between antenna and preamp isn't an issue with normal
antennas. What might be an issue is a compact loop or other very negative
gain antenna.