Topband: Salt-Water Qth!

Don Greenbaum don at aurumtel.com
Wed Apr 1 14:26:50 EDT 2015

In 1997 I moved from a home about 1/2 mile from the ocean to oceanfront
property (I live on an inlet).   I put up a hytower with a 160 wire
(inverted L).   This was the same antenna I had inland that I was
struggling with.   I just could NOT believe the difference.  Instead of
fighting pileups I was in and out with a contact.    In 2005, I bought
Titanex Vertical and my dxcc 160 total has now gone from 106 to 261.   And,
my Titanex has only 2 radials on it.  The hytower inland had 32
radials.  On 80 long path I had never heard a JA from my old QTH.   I now
work South East Asia easily during the winter and am at 335 countries with
WAZ there.

One downside, any antenna this close to the salt water CONSTANTLY needs
attention due to the salt.

Here are two views of it.  The first view faces South.   The second faces
North:

http://www.nookhill.com/lookingout.jpg
http://www.nookhill.com/inthewoods.jpg

Don
N1DG

>On 4/1/2015 7:47 AM, HVT wrote: > This is my first post to the Top-Band
>Reflector, so please excuse my ignorance if this topic has been discussed
>in the past. > > Is there any scientific data in print to prove the theory
>that ocean front property is better than a location inland about a mile or
>so on a ridge overlooking salt water for HF. I had this heated debate over
>the weekend with two ham friends of mine while we traveled to Maine
>looking at real-estate along the coast. I understand the theory that
>verticals literally in or on the water have a huge advantage. The debate
>was about how far away from the water does it become a diminishing effect.
>I made the claim that the Ocean-Front property would be a better location
>than anything inland including a location on a ridge within a mile. This
>heated debate went on for about 500 miles while we were driving back to
>NY. It was a very interesting conversation and made the long drive back
>much quicker! :) > > Additional information about the debate: > > In the
>State of Maine there is a setback regulation on shoreline property
>regarding structures including radio towers. To play it safe with the
>shoreline protective rules, the proposed array system would be setback
>minimum 500’ from the water or as far back as 2000'. At these distances
>on 80/160 meter will a vertical antenna system see any positive effects
>with additional gain from the salt water? > > What about horizontal
>antennas? Do they see any effects from Salt-Water? > > I'm sure I can use
>HFTA to model the terrain, which I have done in the past with great
>accuracy. However, I'm not sure if it calculates Salt-Water. Maybe it
>does. > > We are anxious to start building in Maine ASAP. Any input would
>be appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Ray W2RE > W2RE.com > > > Sent from my
>iPhone > _________________ > Topband Reflector Archives -
>http://www.contesting.com/_topband _________________ Topband Reflector
>Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband

N1DG--Licensed since 1962
EX-WB2DND, A61AD (GUEST OP, QSL MGR), A52DG, C92DG, /VP8O, /KH4,  / KH9,
/BV, /VS6, /4X, /9V /A7
Webmaster:  VP8O, K4M, BS7H, 3Y0X, K5K, A52A, VK0IR, 9M0C, ZK1XXP,
WB2DND/KH9, BQ9P, ZL9CI
2006 inductee into the CQ Magazine DX Hall of Fame
Member:  NCDXF, CWops, ARRL, DDXA, YCCC

AIM SKYPE:  aurumtel