Topband: Which is best for copying the weakest DX - DSP or the ear-brain combo?

charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 5 01:27:39 EDT 2015

Some  years ago, a few of us would occasionally have QSOs that we called "Martin Luthers" -as in "I had a DREAM last night!" and we'd send off the QSLs and would often get one back! This was especially true on 160. I still, occasionally , have a "Martin Luther"! Straining right down into  the noise level and QSB for ESP-level signals!

73
Charlie, K4OTV

---- Greg Zenger <n2gz at gregzenger.com> wrote:
> I suspect a well trained and practiced brain may be able to out perform a
DSP assisted average brain... However over the course of a contest (24-48
hours of [near] continuous operating)  a DSP assisted average brain may
have an advantage due reduced listening fatigue... Of course some DSP can
positively contribute to listening fatigue and others negatively... Quality
of DSP and operators ability to adjust are key factors here. This is a
topic I follow closely, but can't think of any articles or studies off hand
that would answer your question... A sold PhD thesis topic this would be.

Greg N2GZ

>>> www.w0btu.com