Topband: Best wire antenna for roof top location

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Aug 10 14:00:47 EDT 2015

Hi Bud,

Thanks for comments.

I used sea water in the model to correspond to your copper plate
example. I also tried other less conductive mediums for the roof as a
sanity check. What changes is the strength of the high angle stuff.

No surprise that a dipole 5 ft above a conductive surface would be a
train wreck both as a radiator and as a match.

I just looked at an 80M dipole 20 and 30 ft above that sea water roof.
Feedpoint Z about 15 ohms at 20 ft, about 30 ohms at 30 ft. Narudi's
shack is on the roof, so a feedline will be short enough that a 3:1
mismatch on 80M should not be an issue with RG8. Obviously, a different
conclusion if his shack was on the first floor, with 400 ft of coax
running to it. If you change the roof medium to less conductive,
feedpoint Z is about 28 ohms for an 80M dipole 20 ft above the roof.

I understand the goal of your 5 ft high antenna in the example for a
domestic contest. Narudi is in Jakarta, and his objective is CQWW.

I still think the major issue will be RX noise.

73, Jim K9YC