Topband: RX antenna ???

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Fri Aug 28 20:03:19 EDT 2015

Getting back to CO8DM's original question about a preamp to use with a flag. If the receiver noise level pops up and then drops when a receive antenna is connected and then disconnected, then it’s likely that a preamp may not be needed at all.

When I first played with a coaxial loop, a preamp was necessary. Since going to a full size flag, I find that I seldom even bother turning on a external preamp. I do have a relatively short coax run of about 75 ft from the flag to the receiver.

I’d try the flag first without building/buying a preamp and see how it plays.

Steve WB6RSE