Topband: KD9SV-OK1RR relays ???

Charles Cu nningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 29 21:06:25 EDT 2015

 Hello all

It seems to me that a very fast operating preamp protection circuit could be
constructed employing a good fast saturating NPN switching transistor across
the antenna path. In receive mode the collector-base junction would have
substantial reverse bias and the transistor can be chosen for low
collector-base capacitance. With a fast switch like a 2N708 or something
similar the switching time will, of course, FAR outperform a relay closure
time. One can also add a few ohms in series with the antenna lead to reduce
the requirements for collector current in the saturating switch. That
approach should help with the switching speed and contact bounce issues.
However, if the radio design is poor and there are T/R sequencing issues -
those will require additional means to correct or deal with the improper T/R
sequencing problems. The turnoff time for the saturating switch, even at low
forced gains should be fast enough to cope with very fast keying speeds.
Just a thought.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV