Topband: KD9SV-OK1RR relays ???

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Sun Aug 30 17:51:43 EDT 2015

The mast of my RX flag is 20-25 ft from my 160/80m shunt fed tower. I run a KW+ on the low bands. I use an Array Solutions AS-RXFEP RF Limiter (aka FES etc.) in line with the flag at the rig’s RX Ant IN. The RXFEP uses a gas discharge tube and a pair of matching transformers with back-to-back diodes in between.

I favor this passive approach which avoids having to deal with any relay and sequencing issues when QSK.

https://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/as_rxfep.htm

The “manual” link shows the schematic.

I also use a W3NQN BCB filter (from AS).

I have had my K3’s COR (carrier operated relay) trigger on 80m depending upon the orientation of the flag. A not so obvious RF path of some sort. This issue was solved by placing the BCB ahead of the FEP.

I recommend the RXFEP if you want a passive non-relay solution. If you have strong local BC stations, the W3NQN brick wall BCB filter works wonders.

Steve WB6RSE