Topband: 160M EWE Problems

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:31:47 EST 2015

I would like to concur with SM0MDG's comments about receive coax
connections. I betcha the OP's system is leaking in at levels way higher
than the Ewe actually produces. I know everyone loves to detune their
transmit antenna, but there's no way an Ewe should sound noisier than the
inverted L.

A reversible array is far and away the best way to convince yourself that
you have a working receive antenna system. If you reverse it and nothing
ever changes, well, you're listening to some other antenna! Some (e.g. YCCC
array) are supposed to be far more sensitive to near-field metal objects
than others (e.g. K9AY loop) but even then I'm sure you'll be able to find
a convincing F/B on known BCB stations once you have stuff working right.
Another useful beacon is W1AW code practice at 1802.5.

Tim N3QE