Topband: Noise levels on 160

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:24:44 EST 2015

Louis -
  If you try to call someone in the same country and they do not hear you,
I would not assume they have a receive antenna problem. They could have an
8-circle and simply be listening in the wrong direction for you. The
directivity of an 8-circle is astonishing. When I did the Stew Perry from
W3LPL last December, I used Frank's beverages as my "omnidirectional"
antennas into one ear (or sometimes both ears) because being off just 2
notches in 8-circle direction, dropped even strong signals into the noise.

  Amazing. Well-known beverages seemed ominidirectional compared to an
8-circle.

Tim N3QE