Topband: G10, GPO3 was Re: rohn insulators

George Dubovsky n4ua.va at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:08:07 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice that the G10 insulators I have made (wire insulators, turned or
> cut on my crude home tools... I don't have a tower!) start out "G10 green"
> but then turn brown after a few years in the weather. I suspect this is UV
> although I cannot rule out cut fiber ends absorbing something (moisture?)
> and then turning brown. It seems somewhat worse at the rough cuts I have
> made than on the "shiny from factory" surfaces although both turn brown.
> This browning never happens in indoor G10 applications.

​It's UV degradation.​

> Is this entirely cosmetic?

​It's structural damage. The next step is for the binder to disappear from
the surface, leaving the fiber strands to stand out like a rough pair of
wool socks. A coat of just about any exterior paint will protect the
material. I use Rustoleum and I have some fiberglass insulators in service
for over 10 years with no apparent degradation.

73,

geo - n4ua