Topband: 160M ant advice

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Dec 18 12:59:07 EST 2015

It is important to realize that a cage just hung of the side of a steel
tower has some drawbacks. The pattern when modeled is somewhat
asymmetrical to a slight degree. In a properly designed cage feed it is
the cage that does the radiating and not the tower. (Above the cage is
mainly the voltage part of the radiator.)  This is also important
because the tower downwind of the cage may interact.  With a symmetrical
cage around the tower that is not the case.  Also another advantage of
the symmetrical cage is the reduction of RF pickup on rotor wires, coax
feed lines to other antennas, and certain control lines for switching.
Jeff's intentions were good in pioneering the "easy cage"idea.  But one
thing that may influence some people are the aesthetics of a beautiful
four wire symmetrical cage to something hanging of the side of your
tower.    But for me the most impressive was the ease of installation as
compared to the list of material required in the asymmetrical cage.
There may also be a slight increase of bandwidth with a symmetrical
cage  as claimed by some.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ