Topband: directional receive and contests

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Dec 28 12:30:17 EST 2015

Add me to the list of diversity operators.  I typically have one beverage
in one ear and some other directional antenna in the other. For the Stew -
this was a 1200 foot beverage towards the East coast and a Hi-Z array (4
directions) in the other ear.  I would typically have the 4 SQ also East to
help with those QRP stations - and then switch it towards the West when the
JAs are coming through.  If a weak station calls - I check the 4 SQ to see
if they are coming in from the North or South.  A lot of my W6 QSOs were
with stations using marginal antennas and they are pretty weak when things
are pointing East.

At my previous QTH - I had five directions covered by beverages and I could
quickly switch directions using a control box with momentary pushbuttons:

http://www.kkn.net/n6tr/160/bev/BevBox2.jpg  (shown before I got my K3).

With the antennas both East - the signals float around inside my head as
QSB happens.  I typically find that with one antenna - I often miss part of
a callsign with QSB - but with two - I can often get all of the call the
first time.  This is very noticeable on 80 meters when working Japan.

Tree N6TR