Topband: directional receive and contests

Dennis egan.dennis88 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:34:17 EST 2015

Art

I operated the entire Stew with a 160m 4-square antenna, with no
listening antennas.  One hand on the keyboard,
one hand on the 4-square directional switch.  After every CQ, if a
signal was not heard using the xmit
direction, the switch was rotated through the other positions to make
sure I didn't miss anything.  There
were numerous times where a signal would be inaudible in the starting
direction, but would pop up
to Q5 when the switch was rotated.

The only way I've found not to miss anything is to constantly be
changing the direction on any
listening antennas that I am using.

Dennis W1UE