Topband: vbog?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Dec 30 17:33:32 EST 2015

> Has anyone tried a v-beam configuration on the ground, similar to a bog?
> Obviously, it would be longer. The intent would be to increase RDF.
>
> Or would that be a waste of time?

Waste of time to increase directivity.  Long wires laid on or near the
ground fire straight down the length of a wire.

V-beams depend on the cone around the wires being overlaid and placed in
phase at the center, so they depend on height and horizontal polarization.
They require pretty good height to have worthwhile gain.

Many years ago (in the 70's) I had two reversible Beverages in a 90 degree
V. I could fire them singly or in various phase combinations. I could skew
directions or phase and null signals heard by both that way, get but it
never really increased directivity. It just helped me null LORAN, or pick up
signals better on a line bisecting the V formed by antennas.