Topband: Commercial 160 antennas?

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 07:43:25 EST 2015

Bill, Given the info that you have provided, it sounds like you don’t have
“lots of room for almost anything” if the room needed is radial field in
certain directions from the tower.  And re guying the tower is out as well.

My suggestion for a simple job, is to have someone climb the tower and put a
pulley and rope at the top.  An inverted vee with a peak at 90 ft and the
end of the antenna legs at least 50 ft off the ground will do a reasonable
job for you.

Alternatively, an inverted L, with 4 elevated radials – at least 10 ft off
the ground – 15 ft is better – will do pretty well with the kink of the L at
90 feet.

I would align the elevated radials so that only one is needed in the
difficult overbrush.  Then I would measure out 125 ft of 16 AWG insulated
wire, and launch the radial out of the “pricker brush” with a slingshot.

Ed  N1UR

I have 2 T top verticals with tops at 80 ft and 45 ¼ wave radials under each
end fire into EU and switched OMNI for everybody else.  Takes up a lot of
real estate but works FB.