Topband: Remote Operation

m.r. mrc02 at kinderteacher.com
Mon Feb 2 00:07:29 EST 2015

To me the remote operation ethics have always been clear, and still are.

It makes absolutely NO difference where the operator is sitting.  The contact is between
the two physical stations.

Any station - remotely controlled or not - must identify legally under the rules of the
county in which the RF transmitter and receiver are located.  This includes properly
identifying the zone, state, section, grid square, whatever the current activity requires.
When it is just the country, that must also be clear.

In this case, if OE1AZS was using the W4ABC station, he could legally identify in two
ways, Just W4ABC, or W4/OE1AZS.  It is NOT legal for a transmitter in the W4 district of
the US to be identified ONLY as OE1AZS.

It does not matter if the person, OE1AZS, is sitting at the knobs at W4ABC, or is sitting
at home controlling the W4ABC station by remote control.

But, folks who can, will cheat just to be first in a log. They really only cheat
themselves, to the DX station, its just one more contact  Claming the contact for DXCC or
any other kind of award credit is cheating.  Again, the person most cheated is the
individual who submits the contact for the award.

Robin Critchell
WA6CDR